How to become a platelet donor
Are you a blood donor? Make the switch from donating blood to platelets.
You may be able to donate platelets if all of the following apply to you.
You need to:
- have A negative, A positive or AB negative blood
- have given blood or platelets before
- be between 17 and 65 (find out more if aged 66+)
- weigh more than 50kg
- be able to spare up to 2 hours to donate
- be able to travel to one of our donor centres
When you next give blood we will carry out a quick and simple platelet sample assessment.
At the assessment we will:
- assess your veins to see if they are suitable to give platelets
- check you have enough blood to donate safely. This is based on your height and weight
- take a blood sample to check your platelet count
- take an extra blood sample from women to test for antibody levels
You will also have the chance to ask any questions.
Getting your results
We will contact you after a couple of weeks with the results from your blood sample.
If you are suitable, we’ll arrange your first appointment to donate platelets.
If you are not suitable, don’t worry, you can continue to help others by giving blood.
If you have taken part in an assessment and have not heard from us after 8 weeks, please email us with your details.